When you struggle with your mental health on a daily basis, it can be hard to take action on the things that matter most to you. The mental barriers anxiety creates often appear insurmountable. But sometimes, when you really need to, you can break those barriers down. This week, with encouragement from some great people on the internet, I pushed against my anxiety and made some calls to members of our government. Here’s a comic about how you can do that, too. (Resources and transcript below.)
There are a lot! Here are a few I really like:
- Emily Ellsworth explains why calling is the most effective way to reach your congressperson.
- Sharon Wong posted a great series of tweets that helped me manage my phone anxiety and make some calls.
- Kelsey is tweeting pretty much daily with advice and reminders about calling representatives. I found this tweet an especially great reminder that calls aren’t nearly as big a deal as anxiety makes them out to be.
There are a lot of these, as well! These three are good places to start:
- Find your representative at house.gov
- Find your senators at senate.gov
- Use the “We’re His Problem Now” scripts when calling (or write your own!)